What do you have that's of any value? 7/1/2006
Act 3:1Now Peter and John were going up at the same [time] to the temple at the hour of prayer, the ninth [hour] [i.e. 3:00 p.m.].
Act 3:2And a certain man being lame from his mother's womb was being carried, whom they were laying every day at the gate of the temple, the [gate] being called Beautiful, [in order for him] to be asking [for] a charitable gift from the ones entering into the temple,
Act 3:3who having seen Peter and John about to be entering into the temple, began asking [for] a charitable gift.
Act 3:4But Peter, having looked intently toward him, along with John said, "Look at us!"
Act 3:5So he began fixing his attention on them, expecting to receive something from them.
Act 3:6But Peter said, "Silver and gold do not belong to me [fig., I do not have silver and gold], but what I do have, this I give to you: in the name of Jesus Christ the Nazarene, get up and be walking about!"
Act 3:7And having taken hold of him by the right hand, he raised [him] up. Then immediately his feet and ankles were strengthened.
Act 3:8And jumping up, he stood and began walking about! And he entered with them into the temple, walking about and jumping and praising God!
I have spoken to both men and women that are laying on a deathbed...some even minutes before dying some days and they all say the same thing...
NONE OF THE RICHES OR THE PHYSICAL THINGS THAT THEY HAD AQUIRED UP TO THAT POINT MEANT ANYTHING TO THEM AT THAT MOMENT.
-We are living in the land of the free and home of the brave. (TODAY WE ARE CELEBRATING INDEPENDENCE DAY)
-All the technology in the world is available to us.
-We have the best education.
-The best doctors.
-The are the richest country in the world.
-We have the opportunity to do or become anything that we really set our minds on...Yet!...If you had an icurable infirmity like this man...WOULD ANY OF THESE THINGS MATTER?
Would your money matter?
Would your beautiful house matter?
Would your job matter?
would your title matter?
Your influence...would it matter?
Not everyone in this world has the same opportunities we have in this great nation.
-To express our views freely.
-To vote for the person that will lead our nation.
-To have the right to an attorney even if you dont have the money.
-To say freely I HATE THE PRESIDENT!...without going to jail or getting killed.
Let's take a look at this man.
1. He was lame from his mothers womb.
2. (THE BIBLE DOESNT SAY HOW OLD HE WAS BUT THAT HE WAS A MAN...HE HAD TO BE AT LEAST...
3. He had to rely on others to do the simple things that we take for granted.
-doctors and medicine
-A nice home with all the enemities.
-The chance at a good education and a great job...etc.
4. He didn't have money so he had to beg.
WHAT WOULD YOU AND I HAVE THAT WOULD REALLY BE OF ANY VALUE?
What did Peter and John have that was of value to this man that we should all have?
1. They certainly didnt have any money but they had assurance...*Acts 3:4, "Peter, having looked intently toward him, along with John said, "Look at us!" , So he began fixing his attention on them, expecting to receive something from them".
2. They had the power of God thru the Holy Spirit that had been made availeble to them... *Acts 3:6, "Peter said, "Silver and gold do not belong to me[fig., I do not have silver and gold], but what I do have, this I give to you: in the name of Jesus Christ the Nazarene, get up and be walking about!"
3. They had the name of Jesus in their lips. Peter said; "In the name of Jesus Christ of Nazareth, get up and walk".
4. They had Faith... *Acts 3:7-8, "having taken hold of him by the right hand, he raised[him] up. Then immediately his feet and ankles were strengthened. And jumping up, he stood and began walking about! And he entered with them into the temple, walking about and jumping and praising God!"