Mark 8:27-30; Luke 9:18-21
When Jesus came into the region of Caesarea Philippi, He asked His disciples, saying, "Who do men say that I, the Son of Man, am?"
So they said, "Some say John the Baptist, some Elijah, and others Jeremiah or one of the prophets."
He said to them, "But who do you say that I am?"
Simon Peter answered and said,"You are the Christ, the Son of the living God."
Jesus answered and said to him, "Blessed are you, Simon Bar-Jonah, for flesh and blood has not revealed this to you, but my Father who is in heaven".
Revelation of the Church
"And I also say to you that you are Peter, and on this rock I will build My church, and the gates of Hades shall not prevail against it(or overpower it). And I will give you the keys of the kingdom of heaven, and whatever you bind on earth will be bound in heaven, and whatever you loose on earth will be loosed in heaven."
If you want to know what your purpose is in this life, you must have a full revelation of what the church is in order to accomplish your mission.
#1) Many have the wrong concept of the church. (THE CHURCH IS MORE THAN A MEETING PLACE).
1. it's THE PILLAR AND FOUNDATION OF THE TRUTH.
2. IT'S THE BODY OF CHRIST.
3. IT'S THE BRIDE OF CHRIST.
4. ITS GOD'S FAMILY. (AND THE GATES OF HELL WILL NOT OVERPOWER IT!!)
-Today still many have the wrong concept of the church just like they have the wrong concept of who Jesus is:
- Jesus said; "Who do people say that I am? They said; "Some say john the Baptist, Elijah, Jeremiah or one of the prophets". Then Js said; "Well who do you say that I am?" you are John the Christ, the son of the living God.
- It's ok for others to think that Jesus is a prophet or a good man but not you.
- It's ok for others to think of the church as just a religious place with a bunch of rules but not for you.(YOU ARE PART OF THE CHURCH!)
Today's topic is; you were formed for God's family (THE CHURCH IS GOD'S FAMILY)
You are part of God's special family now, and have many things in common with other believers;
1. God is your heavenly father.(HE IS THE FATHER OF THIS NEW FAMILY YOU HAVE)
* John 1:12 says; "But as many as received Him, to them He gave them the right to become children of God".
- as children of God and Gods special family we are called to keep unity. *Ephesians 4:2 says; "With all humility and gentleness, with patience, showing forbearance to one another in love, being diligent to preserve the unity of the Spirit in the bond of peace".
2. This make's us brothers and sisters.
*1 John 4:21, "And this commandment we have from Him, that the one who loves God should love his brother also".
- Brothers and sisters are faithful to each other and the family. *Galatians 6:10, "While we have opportunity, let us do good to all men, and specially to those who are of the household of the faith".
- Forgiving each other.
- Sharing together. A special bond develops as we pray together. Study together; go through good and bad times together.
_We become like the Acts church; *Acts 2:44, "And all those who had believed were together, and had all things in common; and they began selling their property and possessions, and were sharing them with all, as any one might have need. And day by day continuing with one mind in the temple, and breaking bread from house to house, they were taking their meals together with gladness and sincerity of heart, praising God and having favor with all the people. And the Lord was adding to their number day by day those who were being saved".
#3) you are to protect your church the same way that you protect your own family. The church is important to your heavenly father. He calls it in His word;
- The pillar and foundation of the truth.
- The church of the living God.
- The bride of Christ.
- The body of Christ.
- God's house.(A Holy Temple).
-Rick Warren says; 'The life of the body of Christ, like your body, is contained in the cells'.
-The cells are everything that we do as church THAT GIVE'S YOU SPIRITUAL NUTRITION., Bible study, Alpha, retreats, Sunday school, feeding the homeless, giving groceries out, fellowship with other churches.
-The cells in this church are designed to give you spiritual nutrients through teaching you the word.
-In the church we learn about each others needs.
-how to get along with each other.
You should protect the (body of Christ) the same way that you protect your own body.
1. Physically, 2.emotionaly and 3. Spiritually
¿How do we protect the church physically¿
- The same way you would protect someone you love, if someone was going to hurt them.
People sometimes hurt Gods body by bringing slander, by putting down the leaders of the church, by backbiting (it should not be so).
1. You protect God's house (the pillar and foundation of the truth) with our tithe.
- The tithe is 10% of what you earn and God requires it of every believer.(LOOK AT MALACHI 3:8)\
-GOD EXPECTS YOU TO GIVE YOUR TITHE REGULARLY, EVERY SUNDAY (1 CORINTHIANS 16:2)
- GOD EXPECTS YOU TO GIVE YOUR TITHE CHEERFULLY (2 COR. 9:7)
- This is how the church pays its bills and also the ministers in the church.
- The word shows that he that preaches and ministers should live of the Gospel.
- The laborer is worthy of his salary.(1 TIM. 5:17-18)
- It's the responsibility of the church to make sure that their ministers are well taken care of. Specially those that preach and teach the word. Gal. says, "Let the one who is taught the word share all good things with the one who teaches".
2. You protect the church (God's house) .with your offerings.
- Gifts of love to help the less fortunate.
- Special offerings for programs in the church and missionary work.
3. You help the church also by giving of your time and talents.
- Rick Warren says; Love in God's language is spelled T.I.M.E. You know how much you love something by the amount of time that you are willing to give to it.
- this goes for your family, your job, your career and also the church and the Lord.
#2)¿ What is the emotional part of helping your church¿
-You are to protect the church (the bride of Christ) against slander.
How would you feel if someone talks against your wife or your husband?
Think about it!. Jesus feels the same way when someone brings a false accusation against His bride.
- The church is made up of imperfect human beings like you and I.
- Everyone needs emotional support at one time or another.
- In every church you are going to have conflict and the word shows us how to resolve problems within the church.
-If someone hurt's you.
-If someone accuses an elder.
-Treat each other with love and respect.
-Honor your Pastors and leaders in the church.
#3) you protect your church spiritually.
1. with prayer and intersetion.
-For the leaders.
-For one another.
-For the unity of the church.
-By praying and interceding for civil leaders.
#4) By taking the Gospel to those that don't know Christ. (MARK 16:15FF.)
-By being the Lord's hands and feet.
|Copyright SermonCentral.com All Rights Reserved|